Sunday, December 6, 2009

Deep Sea Fishing

There are only 2 fish in the world that my dad hasn't caught. A sailfish and a marlin. So, seeing as how he is here now, and there are marlin all across our shorelines...we had an exciting day at sea!


This picture was taken on the boat at approx. 6:30 am. Which means that I awoke at 5 am. I have to log that, b/c I don't think I will ever wake up that early again...

This wasn't our boat..it was the boat next to us, but this is what our boat looked like. It's next to impossible to take a picture of a boat that you are on.


I caught the first fish....a Dorado. Which, at first, I was like...a Dorado? Who cares...I've never heard of that... but then I was politely informed, that a Dorado is a MAHI MAHI! WOO HOO! Boy, did I get excited! This picture makes it look ALOT easier than it is...especially when you are left handed using a right handed reel.




The wind was HORRENDOUS! Weather Underground had lied to us. We had to take Bonine (anti-seasickness pills) that morning...and after the excitement of the first catch...we all PASSED OUT IN THE CABIN! I would have liked to have gotten a picture of that, unfortunately, I too was unconscious.

After a mighty fine nap...Daddy was blessed with his...(drum roll please)

100 lb. MARLIN


Dad released it...He doesn't want to kill things that he won't eat (WHAT A GUY!). And it is better ecologically that Mr. Marlin grow up a little more and produce some marlinettes.

Next up...Spencer



yes, his was bigger than mine.

Another awesome part of the day were the dolphins swimming along side of us!!
After 8 hours of fishing and traversing rough waters...we hooked but lost 2 marlin, and 2 dorado, and one MASSIVE Bulldorado! bummer. But we each caught one...and we were happy!


On the way in, these pelicans were BEGGING for our bait...they got so close to us I could have touched them!

So the following night...thanks to our dear friend Ed, our favorite Italiano restaurante, Salvatore's, made a meal of our wonderful Mahi Mahi.
As their spiritual bodies have now strengthened the armies of heaven, their physical bodies have now strengthened the army of Bradford.




sidebar: i slept 13 hours that night. never taking Bonine again.

2 comments:

Amy S. said...

Sounds like fun! Like the Crescent City sweatshirt! It's a small world :)

Angela said...

Good for you! I will NEVER go deep sea fishing again. I spent a full day barfing in a very choppy ocean and have vowed to never do it again!!! (and that's WITH dramamine) It doesn't help that we didn't catch anything either. Looks like you guys know how to do it right!