Sunday, March 22, 2009

Change

No, I'm not running for president.

I've had a lot on my mind the last few weeks. All of which will be slowly unraveling themselves on this blog over the course of the next few months.

The first thing I will mention today is in reference to my change of mind for the degree I am currently pursuing. Yeah, huge eye opener happened for me this last Monday at class. We were supposed to make up the exam we had missed from the day that it snowed and school was closed; then the next Monday was spring break. Well, my professor forgot to cancel the guest speakers she had scheduled, so we could make up the exam. HUGE BLESSING for many reasons; one: she gave the exam to us to take home, two: I had missed all of the lectures for said exam because I was in Mexico getting skin cancer, and three: It gave me insight into what I was getting myself into, which is... more of what I hate about my current place of employment.

The guest speakers were very interesting. One of them was ranked #1 paralegal in NC by the National Assoc of Legal Assistants, and the other one was also something great, I can't quite recall. Well, one of the questions asked by a student turned all of this around for me. The question was simply: "What are the pros and cons of what you do?"
And their list of cons were exactly what my current list of cons are for what I do now. At that point my mind shut down and I couldn't get excited about ANYTHING they were talking about.

So that's that. I do, however, have some idea of what I may change my degree to. I LOVE my computers class. I love working on computers. I love design. hmmmmm. I think I am finally embracing the fact that I may just be a computer nerd.

I've been doing ALOT of thinking about this. I just don't think I was meant to work FOR anybody. Looking back at my life, I never have. I ran my own successful business in high school for 3 years. Paid for my car and volleyball clubs myself, and then onto college where volleyball continued to pay the way for me. Then I met Spencer, and we moved so often for the company he was working for, that I just decided to get a job where he worked so we could be employed and transferred together, and that's how I got to do what I have been doing. Now that Spencer has left the company, I have been getting this itch to finally finish school, so I can really get to do what I want to do. And Im not exactly sure what that is yet, but I DO know that I want to do it on my own time and terms.

That's all for today. Tune in next week for Part II Mid-life Crisis Cont.

1 comment:

Dmcguire25 said...

No matter what you decide, I am so proud of you and I know whatever you choose will be great! It is so frustrating to get into school and then realize you hate it! At least you have the power to change that and not continue in something you hate!!! Keep us informed!