Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kayaking

My mom, Spencer, and I went kayaking down the Smith River. F.U.N.

Our good family friend Mick used to rent out these kayaks and about 10 years ago my mom and I did this same trip + a lot more miles than what we did yesterday. But we had so much fun 10 years ago, I really wanted to take Spencer down it. BUT Mick stopped renting them out....well, lucky for us he is a super duper nice guy and loves, loves, loves my dad, so he let us take them for free. I didn't quite know how we were going to fit all of this in one vehicle plus all of us....so luckily with 3 cars and the Beast suburban we made it work.

We put in right past the Forks at the boat ramp

Here's mom paddling away...I think she did the best out of all of us. She was the only who didn't crash, fall, or get whacked in the head with a paddle. (You'll see)

Here I am showcasing my kayak and paddle;
eat your hearts out Barker Beauties

I love this picture mostly because of the background. The scenery was SPECTACULAR! The mountains, trees, rocks, AND the water was crystal clear, and so refreshing....as Spencer let us know when he fell in.

This house is my Uncle Joe's almost finished house. Yes, it is as awesome as it looks.

If you enlarge this picture you can see how clear the water is....just so beautiful.


After about 3 hours we came to this beautiful green lagoon. It was crazy how shimmery green and clear the water was. Majestic was the word we came up with to perfectly describe this place.



This picture below reminds me of the movie "Legend".

This is my mom traversing the final rapid.


In total we had to go over about 8 sets of rapids. Most of them were pretty shallow, but fast. And when it is shallow and fast, rocks toss you out of your kayak. (that's the problem with inflatables) Well, actually that only happened to one of us. (spence)
I hadn't thought to video record any rapids until a little birdie whispered into my ear that maybe I should this one. muahahahahaha..




But the funniest part was the most shallow rapid which was close to the end...Spencer went first then got stuck...I was coming up to his left then I quickly got stuck...then here comes my mom in between us....she gets picked up by a huge rock, and on her way down, whacks me in the head with her paddle. Oh if only someone had been video taping that from the shore.


Then at the end of the trail, Spencer again, fell out of his kayak...yes, again, and the kayak started floating downstream..YIKES. Luckily, heaven was on our side, and a guy snorkeling at our stopping place had grabbed it.



And we're spent.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Beautiful Scenery and I am glad that none of you drowned in the water!