Monday, February 1, 2010

Gift of Tongues

We have been here for about 4 months now. Everyday I have tried to exercise my skillz of Spanish in some form or another. A word or sentence here or there. I had a good foundation for it, since I took 3 years of it in high school. But I can understand it a TON better than I can speak it.

Well, Spencer on the other hand...no Spanish. None. Niet. Nada! Since being here I haven't even heard him successfully attempt one complete sentence in Spanish.

So yesterday at church. We are in Sunday School. They are passing around the scriptures as we are all taking turns reading (this is a Spanish ward). It comes to Spencer's turn to read, well, sadly, Spencer doesn't attempt it, he just passes it to me. My pronunciation is fabulous, if I do say so myself. So, after I read, I am thinking to myself...man I hope Spencer picks this up SOMETIME.

It was SOMETIME. He is asked to give the closing prayer. You can imagine my complete shock, awe, and surprise, as HE BUSTS IT OUT IN SPANISH! THE ENTIRE PRAYER! It wasn't memorized, he didn't even know he was going to give the prayer until she had just asked him right then and there. I could NOT believe it!

When he finishes the prayer, he looks at me with these HUGE eyes, and smile, and I am pretty sure he was sweating. My mouth was hanging open and I say, quite loudly, "Where did you bust that out of??" Yeah, he didn't know. It just happened. I honestly wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't have been there.

So last week I was called to be the 2nd Counselor in the Primary Presidency. The 1st counselor is an American who has lived here for about 12 years, and she is fabulous! So, I have no worries about needing help in there. I can usually understand 1 out of every 5 or 6 words in sacrament and Sunday School. Well, when I walked into Primary for the first time yesterday, I could understand EVERYTHING! I was so excited! I didn't speak at all, and I couldn't sing the songs, but I understood everything the kids were saying, and what Sherri was teaching. It was such a wonderful experience. I am so excited to be here and to be apart of all of this.

I am so proud of Spencer. Now, he won't stop his random Spanglish. It's awesome.

3 comments:

Angela said...

how awesome!

and yipee for Primary! It truly is the place to be. What a lucky group of kids to have you there to love them.

Thomas Family said...

LOVE IT!!!!!! You guys are awesome!

sharon said...

I can picture it all...awesome! I'll soon get to hear it for myself...can't wait!